Some young people feel very comfortable in paediatric (children’s services) and they don’t want to move to adult services (adult hospital), while other young people feel ready to move onto adult services and want this to happen as quickly as possible. Feeling nervous about moving somewhere new is quite natural, to help you, your healthcare team should have lots of discussions about the changes coming up.
The knowledge and skills you may develop are:
- Knowing the meaning of transition and transfer.
- Knowing the difference between adolescent and adult services.
- Moving onto independent visits with healthcare professionals if appropriate.
- Preparing for transfer into adult services.
- Learning how to contact adult services.
There are 3 stages to moving into adult services: (Some or all of the things below may support your transfer into adult services)