We are excited to announce the next stage of our project called ‘Let’s Talk Diversity.’
At Breaking Down Barriers (BDB) we are always looking for new ways to develop our knowledge and understanding and explore different perspectives regarding diversity and engagement. Our next step is to conduct a series of interviews with various people from within our network and beyond to discuss personal and professional experiences of diversity. We want to highlight some of the challenges and look at what needs to change to encourage and improve diversity, inclusion, and engagement within organisations and services working with families affected by genetic conditions.
From the very beginning of BDB, addressing health inequalities has been at the centre of everything we do. The Covid-19 crisis has now starkly highlighted health inequalities in the UK and how people from BAME communities have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19. There is now more awareness of the need to develop more inclusive and equitable services within the healthcare and charity sectors.
We would like to invite you to join the discussion, to share your views and experiences with us. It is only through learning and understanding each other that we can make positive changes to our work and the services we deliver.
We are looking for a range of diverse perspectives and experiences.
If you have:
- personal and/or professional experiences of living and/or working in an ethnic minority community
- personal experience of genetic conditions and/or involved in the delivery of genetic services
- experience of academic research in this area
- deliver general healthcare services
- provide support services to people affected by genetic conditions
- have experience of the need to improve services for people from ethnic minority, LGBTQ and/or socio-economically deprived communities
- or anyone who would like to share their views and experiences on why this is important and thoughts on what needs to change
Then it would be great to have you involved!
Each interview will last around 30 minutes and will take place on Zoom. You will be given the questions in advance so that you have time to prepare and we can do as many re-takes as you like and edit it afterwards! The interview will be shared with you first to check you are happy with it before we add it to the BDB website and share on social media.
So, watch this space! The series will be with you shortly and we hope you will join in the discussion.
Please get in touch with Catherine Lewis by email email@example.com to find out more.