Learning about people’s culture can help us all to understand and appreciate the differences among individuals and how they live their life. Being able to talk about your cultural identity, your traditions, and your family beliefs, can help others to understand who you are. Being proud of your culture and sharing your life with healthcare professionals, helps them to understand more about you!
The knowledge and skills you may develop are:
- Being able to talk about my own culture and beliefs
- Knowing about other religion’s, cultures and beliefs
- Being part of a multicultural society
- Respecting others and being respectful for my own identity
- Knowing who to talk to if I cannot access health services fairly
Top Tips- Helping Healthcare Staff to understand you.
- Tell them about what other languages you speak
- Tell them about how your family chooses, prepares, and cooks food, this can help with nutrition and healthy living advice
- Some young people choose to wear certain clothes and keep their hair covered. If you think that healthcare staff don’t understand this – you may need to speak up and tell them why it’s important!