You are entitled to good quality, coordinated healthcare that is developmentally appropriate and takes into account your culture, beliefs and living style. It is also important that healthcare staff are knowledgeable about your condition/s, are good listeners, can respond to your needs and know how to talk to you about your life.
The knowledge and skills you may develop are:
- Being able to describe your condition and/or symptoms.
- Seeking support if you have an undiagnosed condition.
- Understanding your medication and its effect on your body.
- Understanding when and how to take your medication and any aids and additional support available.
- Supporting to know how to manage your pain.
- Learning about the roles of professionals in your life.
- Understanding medical terms.
- Understanding your prognosis (the possible course of a medical condition).
- Learning about patient organisations and other support networks who may help and support you.