The knowledge and skills you may develop are:
- Understanding if your condition is genetic.
- Learning about inheritance patterns.
- Understanding genetics and how genes, behaviour and the environment can impact your health.
- Learning about planning for a family or parenting.
- Where to find further information about genetics and tests available.
DNA is the material that carries all the information about how a living thing will look and function. For instance, DNA in humans determines such things as what colour the eyes are and how the lungs work. Each piece of information is carried on a different section of the DNA. These sections are called genes.
DNA is short for deoxyribonucleic acid. It is in every cell of every living thing. DNA is found in structures of the cell called chromosomes. Both DNA and chromosomes are tiny. Scientists need to use very powerful microscopes to see them.
(Source Kids Britannica DNA – Kids | Britannica Kids | Homework Help )
Short film explaining what DNA is
Genomics Dictionary – a quick guide to learn the definitions of some key genomics terms.